Christmas is approaching at a rapid pace and there’s a lot pressure to finish and or start shopping. There’s so much temptation to spend and overspend your hard earned money everywhere you look, from online to sales in the mall. Below I’ve compiled some helpful money saving tips to keep you from overspending:
1. Set a realistic budget. It’s important to set a specific amount of money that you are going to spend and no matter what don’t break the budget!
2. Assign a set amount of money that you are going to spend for each person on your list.
3. Consider thoughtful gifts versus expensive gifts. Also remember that toys are toys. They don’t have to be expensive! The cheap ones work the same and the expensive ones. Places like Five Below, Dollar Tree, and Big Lots have really affordable toys.
4. If you are buying gifts for a family such as a mother, father and kids, then consider getting a gift that they can enjoy as a family such as a gift card to a restaurant or a movie.
5. It’s great to be generous and have the spirit of giving, but don’t give what you don’t have. If you can’t afford to give then find other ways to show your generosity.
6. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. After all Christmas is about spending time with family and friends, it’s not all about material possessions.
7. If you have small children like my son, then remember they don’t need a lot to make them happy. Don’t go crazy and buy an entire store!
8. Compare prices at multiples stores when shopping and use coupons and promo codes when shopping online. Remember that most stores will price match!
9. If you are an emotional spender like me, then you have to be very tactful when shopping. Have a plan when Christmas shopping. I need a list before I go into stores, otherwise I will buy things that aren’t necessary and get carried away.
10. Have fun! Remember to laugh, love and make memories with your loved ones.
~Kristle (A frugal shopper)